FAQ – Data base of frequently asked questions from our users.
This data base is regularly updated by our programmers.
FAQ – About TextingHouse
What is the TextingHouse professional SMS solution ?
The TextingHouse extension includes a wide range of unique features such as :
- Clickme2text : automatic recognition of phone numbers in web pages and easy SMS sendings in one click
- bulk SMS, SMS campaign
- SMS mailing, SMS customization for each recipient
- Detailed follow-up of sent SMS, statistics, exports
- Excel or CSV file import (for contacts and phone numbers)
- Personalized telephone book
- SMS templates
- Scheduled SMS
- Customization of the heading name of your sendings
- Opt-out management using “STOP”
- Enterprise mode, multi-user mode…
What is an SMS extension ?
Users can configure the settings and download extensions or add-ons on any web browser. There is numerous extensions such as graphic customisation of the browser, add-blocking tools, or even direct access to your town’s weather forecast.
With the TextingHouse extension, users can, without any development :
- send in a natural way a text message to any phone number visible on the web pages he visits, or on the pages of his intranet or extranet applications, like for example his CRM, his commercial management software, his client management, his ERP, …
- send bulk sms to multiple recipients from his contact files (marketing, promotional or event SMS campaigns)
On which browser is the TextingHouse add-on available ?
TextingHouse is available on CHROME by Google inc, FIREFOX by Mozilla, OPERA by Opera software. It is not available on EDGE yet.
We recommend Internet explorer users to use one of the browsers above mentioned to use properly the SMS features.
How can I try the TextingHouse SMS solution for free ?
Download here the TextingHouse extension from your internet browser :
- Follow the easy installation procedure (confirm the installation when asked) in your browser and your extension will be ready to use in a few seconds.
- A TextingHouse icon has appeared in your browser menubar. The TextingHouse window opens on your screen, if not click on the TextingHouse icon on your browser (usually in the top right-hand corner).
- Your TextingHouse application is now ready to use : type in your e-mail address and a password; a first connexion e-mail is automatically sent to you to verify your address,
- Confirm your address by clicking the link in the e-mail
- Log onto your TextingHouse account with your e-mail and your password. Ticking the “remember me” box allows future connexions without typing your e-mail and password again.
- You have been granted several free SMS to try out our services,
- You can send test SMS from the ‘SMS’ tab in the extension, or directly from your web pages or work software.
- Tips :
- You can access the extension at any time by clicking the TextingHouse icon in your internet browser, usually in the top right-hand corner of your screen. Indeed, in order to have an ergonomic workstation, our application is always active but only becomes visible when your want it to.
- The Clickme2text feature of TextingHouse (recognition of phone numbers from your country in your web pages, with an addition of a clickable icon next to the phone number to directly send SMS) is by default on. That is why the extension will ask you to configure your country. You can disable this function with a right click.
After its installation, does TextingHouse automatically download its updates ?
Your web browser is by default configured to automatically update the add-ons you have installed, including TextingHouse. If somehow the extension does not automatically updates, then consider checking the browser extension settings. They are accessible from your browser toolbar. The configuration file path depends on the browser you’re using.
You can see your current version of TextingHouse in the bottom left-hand corner of the window interface (TextingHouse vx.y.z – )
My TextingHouse window has disappeared, how do I reopen it ?
Don’t worry, nothing is lost. Just click on the TextingHouse icon, usually situated on the top right hand corner of the browser toolbar. The application will reappear on the screen.
You can also click on the small icon next to a phone number in a web page recognized by the Clickme2text feature, the TextingHouse extension window will show up again on your screen.
Does TextingHouse use my phone or my phone contract to send text messages ?
FAQ – Sending SMS and SMS Credits
What size of message can I send by SMS ?
However, it’s important to know that for long SMS, the actual size is limited to 153 characters (7 being used for the concatenation). For example, a 320 characters message will use 3 SMS : 2 SMS of 153 actual characters, and one of 14 actual characters,… and will use 3×1 credit if sent to France (because 1SMS=1credit for this destination).
Also note that if you’re sending a lot of SMS that are customized to each different recipient, your text messages might differ in size according to the personal data of each customer. TextingHouse gives you an credit consumption estimation before sending, calculated according to destination and theoretical length of your message. Theoretical because, at this stage, the real length of each SMS depends on the personal data of your customers.
How do I send a professional SMS from my working software or my web pages ?
Yes, it’s right, thanks to the TextingHouse extension, you have just SMS-enable all your web pages and your working software, and this without doing any development.
- To send a text message to one of the recognized numbers from a web page, the mobile number in a client’s file for example, you only need to click the small TextingHouse icon next to the number. The application appears on screen with the phone number already pre-selected as the recipient.
- Write your message in the ‘message’ area.
- Click on ‘Send SMS’. You are automatically redirected to the “Follow up” tab in the extension.
NB : Note that you have to clarify whether it’s a commercial SMS or not when you are writing the message. You can set your choice once and for all to avoid doing it for each sending. Go to the commercial FAQ for more information.
How do I send bulk SMS, the same message to many recipients ?
Click the TextingHouse icon in your internet browser to open the application, and in the ‘SMS’ tab :
- Select your recipients from ‘available’ sources,
- Write your text message in the ‘Message‘ area,
- Specify if it is a commercial SMS or not. You can set your choice once and for all to avoid doing it for each sending. Go to the commercial FAQ for more information.
- Click on “Send SMS”. You are automatically redirected to the “Follow up” tab in the extension.
NB : Thanks to the ‘SMS mailing’ feature, imported contact files can contain specific columns related to your activity. These are also called variable fields, and they can be used to customize the SMS for each recipient.
Target or group messages, how do I choose my recipients ?
1 – In the ‘SMS tab of the extension, under ‘Add recipients’, you can use 3 sources for recipients :
- Import an Excel, csv or ods contact file with two possibilities :
- for a one-time sending, in which case contacts are imported with their specific data and are put in the ‘Recipients selected’ area but will not be saved,
- to be saved in the ‘Contacts’ repertory with their respective specific data.
- and/or by selecting recognized phone numbers in your web pages via Clickme2text,
- and/or by adding a recipient phone number manually.
2 – In the ‘Contacts‘ tab of TextingHouse, you can choose recipients from your registered contacts by combining criteria. There is as much criterion as column, including those specific to your activity (additional columns from your imported file). You can select your recipients by ticking the boxes next to your contacts, and clicking ‘Add to recipients’ will add these into the ‘Recipients selected’ area of the ‘SMS’ tab.
These different sources complement one another, each selection or import adds up in the ‘Recipients selected’ area. TextingHouse keeps your selection.
You can remove at any time a recipient from the ‘Recipients selected’ by clicking the cross or remove all the recipients by clicking on the box where there is the total number or selected recipients.
3 – In the ‘Follow up‘ tab, you can send SMS to the same list of recipients.
How to credit my account ?
I want to create an estimate or a pro-forma invoice
Once the message is sent, when does the recipient actually receive the text ?
TextingHouse text messages are sent with a delivery reporting request. The “follow-up” tab will tell you if the SMS has been delivered properly.
Can I import my contacts to send them professional texts ?
You can import from the ‘SMS’ tab, under ‘Add recipients‘, where an icon is dedicated to import files. When importing a file, you can either :
- Import a file for a one-time sending, the contacts will not be saved : this option is often sued by those who export contacts from their working software, to make sure the data is updated before they send messages,
- or you can import and save your contacts in your ‘Contacts‘ repertory within the extension : you will be able to select them for future sendings without re-importing them.
NB : You can import contacts with specific columns proper to your job or activity (for example : the client number, a contract number, a due date, the business sector, …) for a personalized communication (see SMS mailing), or selection criteria for when your select your recipients.
SMS mailing, how to customize my professional SMS for each recipient ?
Name, last name and gender are the basic customization, but TextingHouse allows you to do more than that :
- An appointment reminder text can contain the name, surname, time and place of the appointment.
- A delivery SMS goes along with the seller’s name, the order number and the date and time of the delivery,
- a private sale with a discount coupon number,
- an event with a web address for online subscription, …
In order to use your business data and send customized SMS, you just need to import a contact file with additional columns, other than name, surname and phone number. Each column will create a variable field in TextingHouse when importing the file. You will be able to put these variable fields into your message. When sending SMS, TextingHouse will replace those fields with their content for each recipient : this is what we call SMS mailing.
How to delay my sending ?
FAQ – Write your message beforehand and program it to be sent the day of your event, the next morning at 9 to respect private hours, the last day of a sale, or even one hour before an appointment, …
When writing your message, you can choose a date and time when TextingHouse will send your SMS by clicking on ‘Delay SMS’.
After confirming your delayed sending, you can find it in the ‘Follow up’ tab, under ‘Scheduled SMS’, and can modify or cancel it before the completion date.
Can I send text messages abroad ? What countries are covered ?
Can I retrieve my recipient answers ?
This service is free and not guaranteed. In fact, according to destinations or if a sender name has been used, the recipients may not have the possibility to answer, or the answers might not be brought to our platform.
You can export answers in the ‘follow up’ bar as an excel file.
FAQ – Law, regulation and ethics
Legislation : opt-in, unsubscribing, commercial SMS, SMS heading, sender ID.
FAQ – Did you know that text messages is a very effective means of communication ? It is instantly delivered on people’s mobile phone. Most people read all of their SMS. Conciseness and reading speed are what we want in today’s society, a few seconds and the recipient absorbs the information… or not !
Indeed, a clumsy and non transparent communication can soon be perceived negatively. Moreover, communicants must constrain themselves to comply with laws on the respect for private life and the code of ethics.
There is two different types of SMS communication :
– SMS for services. They deliver qualitative information to a recipient, such as confirmations of delivery, of appointment, files to be completed, … These text messages must clearly mention the sender name which the recipient have to contact if he wants to stop this service.
– Commercial SMS : sales advertisements, sales demonstrations, sendings of discount vouchers, advertising links, … Commercial SMS must not only clearly mention the sender name, but also contain information on the unsubscribing process.
The first rule to observe is that you need to get people’s authorization before you send them SMS : this is often called the opt-in.
Then, in order to respect the rules and laws but also to maximize the effect that your SMS communication has on your recipients,
- SMS Heading : We advise you to include a heading to your all your messages, a commercial, product, store or brand name, the name of your company or establishment… Example of a message with a heading : « My Store> Dear Alicia, we have great news : our private sales begin on Saturday. Your private code is 53621A. Audrey. Reply STOP to unsubscribe » Advantage : the sender is clearly mentioned and the recipient can unsubscribe easily. Drawback : the recipient receives a message from an unknown number or common to many senders.
- Sender ID : The recipient receives a SMS not from a number but directly from a wording that will clearly announce the sender as being for example ‘My Store’. Advantage : the recipient can identify the sender before reading the message. Drawback : the sender ID is not guaranteed to be seen in all countries and does not allow the recipient to replay STOP to unsubscribe. Thus you must include in your message something like ‘Send STOP to 06…….’ or ‘unsubscribe at www.mystore.com/unsubscribe’. The sender ID is submitted for a manual validation at TextingHouse before use, you must provide proofs of intellectual property or of registered trademark.
When writing a text message with TextingHouse, you can say whether it is a commercial SMS or not, and you can choose an SMS heading or a sender ID, an automatic (handled by TextingHouse) or personalized opt-out procedure.
How are unsubscribing requests from mailing lists managed ?
FAQ – Handling unsubscribing requests is mandatory for any commercial SMS, in opposition to service text messages.
When writing a message, you will be asked to state whether it’s a commercial SMS or not. If it is, you will have two choices for managing unsubscribing :
- TextingHouse will handle by itself : it will add at the end of your message ‘STOP at 06……’, where ’06……’ refers to a number where TextingHouse will receive potential STOP SMS sent by your recipients.
- Or you can do it manually : you must add in your message your own opt-out clause.
You can export the STOP answers from your recipients from the ‘Follow up’ tab of your extension for future updates of your work files (CRM).
FAQ – History and SMS monitoring
How long are my sendings retained ?
Can i be noticed if the SMS have been received ?
- The number of ongoing sendings,
- The number of delivered SMS : TextingHouse has received a delivery report,
- The number of unsuccessful sendings : the message could not be delivered to the recipient.
How to resend recipients another message ?
You can click on “Send a message to the same recipients” from the ‘follow up’ of your sending. You are sent to the ‘SMS’ tab and the ‘Recipients selected’ area is already filled with your addressees. Yon need only to type in your message and then send.
How do I retrieve texts from my messages to save it in my CRM ?
In the “Follow up‘ tab, click on your sending to see its detail : now click on the text and it will be automatically copied in your workstation’s clipboard.
Just paste it wherever you want to.
Can I retrieve my sending history as a file ?
When viewing a sending detail, you can also export all the SMS of this sending, along with potential answers including unsubscribing requests (STOP).
FAQ – Mobile phone numbers recognized on web pages
Does TextingHouse recognize every mobile number ?
TextingHouse also recognizes phone numbers that are not local, provided that they are in the international format, i.e. prefixed with the country dialing code (+nnn CC CCC CCCC..).
A small clickable icon is added before phone numbers recognized by TextingHouse, you can send SMS to these numbers in one simple click.
Numbers recognized from each of your open web pages can also be found in in the TextingHouse extension window. You can select them (one, several, all) and then add them to the recipients of the text message you want to send.
Why do I have to configure my local country ?
TextingHouse asks the user to configure his country, in order that phone numbers from his country that are not in international format be recognized. If you take our previous example, if you configure France as your country, then the number 0612x456xx that would appear on one of your web page will be identified even though it is not prefixed with the dialing code +33.
Your local country is set up by default, and you are asked to configure it at your first connexion. Click on the flag in the top right-hand corner in the TextingHouse toolbar to change it whenever you want to.
Does the automatic recognition handle special phone number formats or delimiters ?
If however, some numbers were not recognized, please let us know by contacting us, we will then add the recognition of your own characters or special formats.
Is it possible to send SMS to several numbers detected in my web pages ?
If numbers on a web page are recognized, a small box with the page title and the total of visible numbers appears, and this for each web page open in your internet browser.
Click on a page box to access the details of numbers and select the ones you want. You can repeat this process for each page and then add up numbers from many pages. The chosen numbers are found in ‘Recipients selected’.
Write your message and then send it.
Do I need to configure my working software to activate the Clickme2text function ?
My CRM SMS plug-in does not suit me, can the Clickme2text feature repa
However, each user will keep its contacts and individual SMS history. The administrators you’ll define could buy credits.
Only administrators can manage users and see the SMS history sent from all members of the multi-user account. Administrators can also define SMS templates, SMS heading, and sender ID that can be used by all accounts. Administrators can set a contact directory common to all accounts.
There is no limit on the number of members of a multi-user account.
The opening of a multi-user account is free.